Sunday, January 9, 2011

Pool

So I've been doing some thinking about the game of pool. And how it would be if the board literally were a pool as its name would suggest.

But before we get ahead of ourselves, let's think about all of the similarities there ALREADY are between pool tables and pools:


1. You can put balls in them.
2. Those little pockets resemble those little filters that they have on the sides of the pool. You know the ones. The ones that your favorite small pool toys got stuck in and that you had to drag mommy and daddy back to to  take off the caps and look inside of because you won't stop crying because you happen to be very attached to your pool toys. And there are really only about 6 of those pockets, but you have to look in every single one anyway.
3. Balls are/can be pool toys.
4. The green area is sometimes called a Bed, like an ocean bed, which yeah, I guess doesn't count because it's a pool not an ocean. But still.
5. Anchor, Deadweight, Fish, Fluke, Jaws, Pool Shark, Sewer, Sink, Squirt, Stroke, and Swan are all pool/water terms in both senses.

Anyway, I'll get back to this. Remember this.

This is a pool table, in case you're unfamiliar. You may have heard it called "Billiards". But if you know it as "Billiards" and not as "pool" then you are undoubtedly a snobby Brittish person, and wouldn't appreciate what I have to say anyway.





So I was looking at this pool table and I was sort of kind of halfway playing pool, and I was wondering whether it would be easier or harder if you added more pockets. Sure, you'd do away with the colored balls quicker, BUT you'd probably accidentally lose the white ball more often. Which sucks.

So I thought of putting holes between the holes:





And then I thought of putting holes in between THOSE holes:






Until finally, the sides are made of nothing but hole, and you just have an elevated platform and a little half-pipe surrounding it, like those gutters in bowling.

OR, and get this, like one of those infinity pools. (This is why you had to remember pools btw). You know, those pools that you can install on top of buildings and they look like there's water running off the edge of the roof and like you might accidentally swim out/off, but you won't because there's a gutter just off the edge of the roof and a few feet down to catch any water or people that might escape. Like that.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, would be an awesome pool game:





AND you would never have to call your corners/shots ever again. You'd just try to get the balls out. Like the rest of us who play pool and aren't assholes about it.

And you would have nothing to rest your hand on to aim. Ha. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment